Do You Have a Landlord Electrical Safety Certificate in Birmingham?
As electrical contractors in Birmingham, the CLS team do a lot of work with local landlords on ensuring that rented property is safe from an electrical point of view. In our experience, landlords recognise the importance of electrical safety regulation, but may not be clear on the detail of what needs to be done. This blog provides a short guide for landlords about electrical inspections.
What is an Electrical Safety Certificate?
An electrical safety certificate provides proof that landlords have had the electrics in their rented property inspected by a ‘competent’ person (accredited electrician) on a 5 yearly basis. The inspection will include:
- Visual inspection of wiring and fusebox
- Identification of RCD safety device
- Checking for circuit overloads
- Identification of defective electrical work
- Alerts relating to electric shock risks and fire hazards
The inspection will generate a report with recommendations where necessary. Once these are carried out, the Electrical Safety Certificate can be issued.
Is the Landlord Electrical Safety Certificate a Legal Requirement?
Landlords are required by law to ensure that their property is safe for tenants to move into. If the property is an HMO (House in Multiple Occupation) landlords are legally required to carry out a periodic inspection every 5 years. If it’s a single tenancy, there’s no legal obligation but a periodic inspection remains an important element of landlord responsibility. It’s also worth remembering that a record of electrical maintenance helps to keep the value of the property stable.
Who Should Carry Out a Rented Home Electrical Inspection?
Periodic testing of rented properties needs to be carried out by NICEIC accredited electricians. Their job is to check the condition of the electrics in the rental accommodation against the UK standard of electrical installations. This is BS 7671 which covers the safety of wiring for electrical infrastructure, and portable appliances.
Only registered electricians are able to award certification relating to Landlord Electrical Safety.
Ongoing Electrical Maintenance for Landlords
Whilst the 5 year periodic inspection is a milestone when it comes to electrical regulations, regular maintenance is also highly recommended. Contract Labour Solutions provide maintenance contracts that are tailored to individual landlord’s properties.
A maintenance contract will cover the periodic testing of the property, but it will also cover:
- Inspections Between Tenancies. Checking on the electrics between the end of one tenancy agreement and the beginning of another provides peace of mind for landlords. We check whether there’s any damage to the electrical wiring, or whether repairs are necessary.
- PAT Testing. Where landlords provide portable appliances for the use of tenants, there’s an expectation that they’re kept in a condition that is not likely to cause danger or hazard to tenants. The CLS team carry out annual PAT testing on all rental appliances.
- Emergency Call Out. Should there be a problem that needs to be fixed quickly, we include emergency call-out in our maintenance contracts. This ensures that a qualified electrician will arrive promptly, diagnose the problem and provide a rapid solution.
Contract Labour Solutions Provides a Reliable Service for Landlords
Landlords tend to be extremely busy people, and we’ve found that a comprehensive electrical maintenance contract is a service they value. We’ll keep track of scheduling for annual and 5 yearly inspections, and carry out running repairs where necessary. And, as a local electrical contractors, we’re on hand for Birmingham landlords when they need us!
Are you looking for NICEIC accredited electricians in Birmingham to look after your Landlord Electrical Safety Certificate? Call CLS on 0121 647 2127/07791 697060